On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 09:52:46 -0600, John McKown wrote:

>>Is there any way to achieve the above ie to search for 'abc*xyx' where * can
>>be any length in all members of a pds.
>
>I know of a way, but only __IF__ you have installed the GNU "grep" program
>from the IBM site:
>
>http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/zos/unix/bpxa1ty1.html

Or, mount the PDS via NFS on any UNIX system and use practically any
grep.  I do this routinely.

It should even be possible to mount the PDS on z/OS Unix itself;
others report success at this.  Our sysprog has never succceded
(in fact, he doesn't understand the rationale for the request),
and I have not pressed it as urgent.

-- gil