In
<4a25f3adc7d4cd4388704e36280459c308f9f...@mddp-exch-003.aeth.aetna.com>,
on 12/09/2008
   at 07:30 AM, "Veilleux, Jon L" <veilleu...@aetna.com> said:

>Jim, as I stated in our problem record, the change to GETMAIN caused us
>downtime which is unacceptable in a business environment.

IMHO, poor programming caused the outage, and your enterprise is far more
at risk from that than it is from changes to undocumented interfaces. This
scenario reminds me of the wailing and gnashing of teeth when programs
that were working fine[1] under OS/360 started taking S0C4's under OS/VS1
and OS/VS2. Also, did you go to a new z/OS release without doing
regression testing?

>and not all source
>code is available for us to determine if there will be a problem

That is an even worse risk; what happens when changes in the law require
changes to the programs for which you don't have source code?

>Any change to the way a major interface works SHOULD be documented
>whether the developer thinks that it will cause a problem or not.

There I agree.

[1] Sometimes with undetected incorrect output.