On balance, I think that Java does a pretty good job with
version-to-version compatibility.  Most programs in my experience work
fine on version upgrades.  There are some problems, but they are
usually because the programmer was sloppy and paid no attention to
deprecated apis, etc.    If your code has a nice automated regression
test suite, then your ability to adapt to any change - java version,
platform, new requirements, etc - is an order of magnitude easier.
But 90% of code written today is crap.    That's the real reason why
comparing new languages to old code written in COBOL and BAL is
meaningless.