Vince

Does z/OS run as a "guest machine" of your VM system?

If it does, get your VM systems programmer to sort out the unit record
devices in the directory entries of your - presumed - CMS virtual machine and
the z/OS virtual machine so that files can be exchanged between the two in
the time-honoured way. As you suggested, you may also have to define the
unit record devices to z/OS and JES2.

Probably my last project actually involving submitting jobs using card decks
stacked in the card reader and impatiently standing by the printer window was
in early 1976. With VM you just do the same thing logically with commands
and editors/browsers.

If your z/OS system and your VM system run in separate LPARs - on the same
or different physical machines (CECs) - then you can use NJE between,
typically, JES2 on z/OS and RSCS on VM.

You can run NJE either over an IP network - a relatively recent addition
(2005) - as an NJE transport, an SNA network or a CTC connection[1]. In the
first case, you will need the IP product or product component to be running in
both z/OS and VM. In the second case, you will need the SNA product or
product component (VTAM) to be running in both z/OS and VM. In the third
case, you will need to set up a channel-to-channel connection of the old sort
I believe. "You pays your money and you takes your choice!" Obviously the IP
option is using the same transport as your existing FTP and for that reason
you will want not to bother with that one.

The following document describes NJE: Network Job Entry Formats and
Protocols, SA22-7539-02:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/HAS2A620

Having indicated whether or not your systems are co resident on a VM base
and, in the latter case, NJE, whether you prefer SNA or CTC, we can perhaps
help you further - and perhaps worry a bit more about userids!

Chris Mason

[1] In days gone by, there was also binary synchronous communication (BSC)
as an NJE transport. Unless you happen to have typically a 2701 control unit -
of blessed memory - connected to each system with a suitable communication
facility between them, you won't be all that interested in this option!