On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Paul Gilmartin wrote:

> Good question.  I know that John is an NFS user (at least
> Linux server; z/OS client).  I believe that SMF data are
> RECFM=VBS.  I know that if a VBS file is overridden to
> RECFM=U it can be reconstructed from the RDWs (I've done
> it in Rexx with an IEBCOPY-unloaded library).  But is
> there any way to trick the z/OS NFS server into presenting
> an SMF log to the client as such a byte stream?

I didn't try NFS. My Linux box is down for a while. It (not I) am accused
of streaming data at 7Mbs over our external Internet connection, causing
much weeping and wailing. I have no idea what could have done this. I
didn't do anything. The LAN people said it was "7Mbs encrypted downloads
from Fedora". Whatever that really means.

> The alternative is to override to RECFM=U,FILEDATA=BINARY
> in JCL and IEBGENER to the Linux NFS server.
>
> Does Java on z/OS understand RECFM=VBS legacy data sets?

Not directly. But I do an FTP with QUOTE SITE RDW or Co:Z "fromdsn" with
standard IBM RDWs. I have written Java code which can read this by
decoding the RDWs in the code. It's ugly code (IMO), but not too
difficult.

> What's the relative cost of CPU cycles on z/OS vs. desktop?
>
> -- gil

about 200 zillion to one <grin>. My desktop is basically "free" due to its
age.

--
Q: What do theoretical physicists drink beer from?
A: Ein Stein.

Maranatha!
John McKown