Ted,

How does a Canadian say tomato...

The CPU cost is the differentiator that you refer to. The additional cost of
interpretive languages is that each line of the source code must be
evaluated and acted on for every iteration of the code. This is classic
CLIST or REXX.

No matter how you label the compile/interpretation phase of SAS, the
execution phase does not result in line by line interpretation of the
source, and thus no interpretive cost. There is a compile and translate
cost, but the difference between compile and interpret is more than mere
semantics.

I don't write REXX or CLIST - I often wonder about that - but from past
tests I know that the CPU cost of the following SAS program compares
favorably with REPRO and beats IEBGENER, and I'd like to compare it with
REXX and CLIST equivalents.

Data _null_;
        Infile ifile;
        File ofile;
        Input @;
        Put _infile_;
        Return;
Run;

I'm sure your point only pertains to the data step. It would be a hard
argument to convince anyone that PROC SORT parsing into execution DFSORT or
SYNCSORT will have interpretive CPU costs.

Ron

Behalf Of