>SAS data steps are not interpreted, they are compiled and executed.

Now you are getting semantically involved!

>Would you say that a compile-load-go PL/I job is not compiled?  That seems to
>be what you're saying, but I don't think that falls within the commonly
>accepted meaning of the term.

The difference is that I can keep PL/I object and load code if I want to.
With SAS, regardless I cannot.
So, translation/interpretation (or whatever you want to call it) is there for
every run, whether I want it or not.
Therefore, the overhead is there everytime, regardless of what it is called.
That was my only point.

You can argue what you want to call it, but it's still there EVERY run.

This argument happened, last year.
Hit the archives; I'm not going to have it, again.

-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!