that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main as well.

patrick.oke...@wamu.net (Patrick O'Keefe) writes:
> I think that logic may not apply.  It all depends on how the emulation
> works.  The "wasted" track space may not take any space on the
> real hardware.  We may be protected from our old stupidity (but I'm
> sure there is lots of new stupidity to make up for that).
>
> It's still complicated.  Now you have to know which old guideleines
> still hold, which can be discarded, and what new guidelines are
> needed.

cyl/track & ckd architecture are left over from 1960s trade-offs ...
cyl/track provided a direct 1:1 logical/physical correspondance so
that uses (application developers) could wring every possible bit out
of the infrastructure. ckd allowed for leaving information data
structure indexes out on disk ... rathing than caching them in
real-storage. this traded-off i/o channel, controller, and device
thruput against extremely (much more) scarce and expensive real
stroage.

the ckd architecture trade-off was already shifting in by the mid-70s
... where bottleneck had significantly switched from being real
storage to i/o thruput (and starting to see use of electronic storage
for caching and/or staging information to compensate for the
increasing bottlenecked i/o resources). I was being called into some
number of severe thruput bottlenecked customer situations where the
problem turned out how to minimize the use of PDS directory & VTOC
multi-track search.

at the same time, the disk price/bit was drastically dropping ... so
the cost effort to optimize every last bit of disk space was starting
to cost more than the disk bits saved.

FBA bascially addressed both issues;

1) it drastically simplified the logical structure users and
application developers had to deal with and

2) eliminated the whole search infrastructure; recognizing that it was
more efficient to cache/save high use data structures in electronic
storage so that I/O read/write operations would directly specify
required record.

I was told that even if I provided fully developed, tested, and
integrated MVS FBA support ... it would still cost (an additional) $26M
to ship (changes to documentation, education, etc). Supposedly I had to
show incremental revenue/sales as result of shipping MVS FBA support
(i.e. on the order of $200m-$300m in incremental disk sales). The theory
was customers were buying as much disk as they required and the only
thing that MVS FBA support would provide would be the disks sold would
be FBA rather than CKD (but no incremental sales). Any argument about
infrastructure and long-term life-cycle savings with any MVS shift to
FBA was discounted (as well as indirect sales because of simpler/faster
development)

I also was pontificating about how relative system disk thruput had
dropped by factor of ten times over a period of yrs. Eventually some
executive in the disk division asked their performance group to refute
my statements. After several weeks, they came back and basically said
that I had slightly understated the issue; i.e. disks may have gotten
five times faster ... but with fewer arms and/or more data/arm to
access, the avg. thruput per access (because of higher loading and
queuing issues) was possibly only three times better. At the same
time, processor had gotten possibly 50 times faster (processors 50
times faster, disks 5 times faster ... ratio of disk:processor thruput
had declined by order of magnitude).  Applications using 60s disk i/o
techniques weren't able to keep the processors busy ... w/o heavy
leveraging of electronic storage.

In any case, the disk performance group turned the study around into a
SHARE presentation recommending how to optimize disk configurations
(basically attempting to mitigate the thrutput bottlenecks).

In the meantime trying to get ECKD debugged and working as a subset
solution for the multi-track search overhead ... was a monumental
undertaking.

lots of past posts mentioning ckd, multi-track search, fba, etc
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#dasd

semi-related, misc. past posts mentioning getting to play disk
engineer in bldg 14 (disk engineering) & bldg 15 (disk product test).
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#disk

then as all physical disk technology shifted to "FBA" ... there was
another major effort required to continue to emulate CKD
infrastructure on top of an underlying infrastructure that is
fundamentally FBA.

slightly related to the technology paradigm trade-off CKD/FBA shift
was the discussions in the '70s between the STL IMS group and SJR
system/r relational database group (original relational/sql)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#systemr

The IMS group position was that direct record pointers as part of the
data infrastructure required half the disk space as System/R
(relational, later sql/ds, db2, etc) and significantly fewer disk
i/os. Basically the internal index structure used by relational
doubled the space required on disk and required quite a few disk i/os
to eventually acquire the pointer to the record containing the data.
System/R response was that the eliminating record pointers as part of
the exposed data significantly simplified the administrative and
application process.

Going into the 80s, administrative and application development costs
were significantly increasing (and becoming scarce resource). disk
space costs were significantly declining (mitigating the doubled disk
space associated with relational index). The amount of electronic
storage also significantly increased (and cost decreased) allowing
much of the index to be cached ... eliminating much of the additional
physical I/Os "index" penalty. In any case, relational paradigm
started to become much more cost effective (because of changes in the
people costs for administration & development vis-a-vis hardware
costs).

--
40+yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar70