The biggest problem is that estimating file size for many production
batch applications is mostly or totally dependent on input (perhaps
client-supplied) file sizes.  And there is no way in JCL to say "this
new output file will be about x(percent) or x(times) the size of the
input file(s) named A (B, C, ...).  Today I may have 1M records and
tomorrow I may have 10M records, depending on how active the day's
business has been.  The only alternative we have today is to allocate
for the maximum possible size, which is often a very poor estimate of
the actual size.  It doesn't really matter that much if one uses records
or megabytes or cylinders (though I agree that records/megabytes are
probably more application-friendly methods).  When the business grows,
the original estimates hard-coded into the JCL become too small.

This is not, of course, a problem of ECKD vs FBA or some entirely
different virtual architecture for storage, but a problem of how poor
JCL is as a file specification and control-flow language.  REXX or bash
scripts are far more flexible for that purpose, but each of those
languages has far more onerous problems than JCL (TSO and the bash
shell, respectively), not to mention poor to non-existent connection
with scheduling software, which is (IMHO, of course) part of why JCL is
still almost exclusively used for production batch processing.

Burroughs' WFL (Work Flow Language) was always my ideal of a
well-integrated and flexible control language.  If REXX could be as well
integrated as WFL was in the Burroughs MCP system as to become the
replacement for JCL, that would be a step in the right direction, IMHO.

Not that I ever expect it to happen.

Peter

and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of
the
attachments from your system.