I don't see the problem with coding over generous space estimates. For
most of allocations I don't require a space parameter at all. The
default DATACLAS allows a big extended striped dataset. And with SMS
compression.
We only see x37 abends when the JCL explicitly calls for too small an
allocation, and extended/striping/compression isn't selected by
DFSMSdfp. Usually due to fragmentation.

Yes, I have  sizable pools with and generous free space threshold, but
DASD is cheap. I've probably spent more writing this note than being
stingy on disk space would buy me.

>From a user prospective, and even from a z/OS Sysprog perspective, I
don't care about the underlying FBA or CKD or QED of the architecture.

We still have many outdated parsimonious attitudes from the days when
bytes were expensive. DASD is cheap, so is memory. z/OS CPU is also
cheap, too bad the software (mostly ISV) is still priced by old time
thinking.

Dave Gibney
Information Technology Services
Washington State University