2009/4/15 Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com>:

> There are APIs for extracting information from program objects.  It
> is my understanding that AMBLIST uses those APIs rather than parsing
> program objects itself.  (Will AMBLIST process program objects
> in Unix files?)

Yes, AMBLIST works fine on POs in UNIX files. There were some early
problems, such as high CPU consumption (a loop?) back a few releases
ago, but generally it is quite usable now. Superzap (AMASPZAP) also
works on POs by calling the Binder API. It is a little odd to see an
IEW message from AMASPZAP, but you can get one.

> The proprietary status of Program Management information is an
> impediment to ISVs supplying cross compilers.  For example,
> IBM's C compiler avoids any need for a prelinker by using
> undocumented Program Management facilities.

I'm not sure this is correct. I believe the Binder API contains
sufficient function to generate a Program Object from input formats
that are documented, and/or from existing POs. I admit I haven't tried
that, but I have used the API to retrieve a lot of detailed info from
POs, Load Modules, and Object Modules. It's complex, and clunky in
places, but it does work. I have even managed to call it directly from
REXX, though that just scrapes through by good luck, and can't be used
for all API calls.

> AFAIK, all C compilers from ISVs require a prelinker step which, in turn,
> is highly hostile to processing performed by SMP/E.

Certainly it is, but I'm not sure why compilers need such a step. Can
you give an example?

Tony H.