Paul Gilmartin wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 12:53:11 -0400, Tony Harminc wrote:
> >
> >> AFAIK, all C compilers from ISVs require a prelinker step which, in turn,
> >> is highly hostile to processing performed by SMP/E.
> >
> >Certainly it is, but I'm not sure why compilers need such a step. Can
> >you give an example?
> >
> A reentrant and refreshable program needs to obtain writeable
> storage and may need to move an initializing prototype into
> that storage.
>
> C allows the initializing prototype to be defined in a
> translation unit other than the one containing the main
> entry point, and expects that initialization to have
> been performed when the main entry point gets control.
>
> A preprocessor is needed to move the initializing code
> (GETMAIN; MVCL) from that other translation unit to the
> one containing the main entry point.  I suspect (and Dave
> Rivers seems to confirm) that there are undocumented
> facilities in Binder to facilitate this; in effect a
> built-in preprocessor.
>
> -- gil

I guess you're saying that you need to use the binder to create Program
Objects. I think it would be difficult for an ISV to create their own.
I'm not sure why they would want to. There's certainly enough documented
info to create objects that can be directly read by the binder without
pre-linking.

--
Don Poitras - zSeries R & D  -  SAS Institute Inc. -  SAS Campus Drive
mailto:sas...@sas.com   (919)531-5637  Fax:677-4444     Cary, NC 27513