From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of David Alcock
Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:03 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Downloading IBM manuals

Every time a new z/OS operating system level comes along I go to the IBM
library page and download each manual I'm interested in (i.e. most in
the MVS bookshelf) one at a time and give them somewhat meaningful names
like "zos 110 init and tuning ref.pdf" instead of iea2e291.pdf for
example.  What do you do?

I just tried out using the DownloadThemAll Firefox add-on and you can
easily get all manuals with the cryptic 8.3 filenames.   I found a PDF
library for Python that is easy enough to use to display the titles by
the file names.  See this web page I created:

  http://www.planetmvs.com/mvsintosh/IBM_Manuals/index.html

I'm probably missing a lot easier way of doing things.  I started
searching for some type of freeware that displays PDF titles in a
directory but have been unlucky so far.  Any suggestions?