Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
To: <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2009 10:40 PM
Subject: Slightly off topic power limits

------------
I dialed in recently to an online technology discussion sponsored by Wikibon.org, a community of technology professionals. Speaking was Rich Avila, director of server and network operations at California State, who said saving power wasn't a fuzzy, feel good goal for him. It was a necessity.

Avila is the director of server and network operations at California State University, East Bay, and he was responsible for 250 servers at the Hayward, Calif., institution. The school's data center had ramped up quickly and by late 2007, his utility was telling him he was drawing 67 kilowatt hours of power while the maximum available to him was going to be capped at 75 kilowatt hours. Pacific Gas & Electric said in no uncertain terms there'd be no additional power available when he reached that limit, a date that appeared about six months off, Avila said.