Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
To: <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 10:33 AM
Subject: Power Capacity Planning (was Slightly off topic power limits)

Eric,

I think the point here is that for years data centers have proliferated
servers that are single application and low utilization.  This has
driven their power usage sky high.  I don't know if power companies in
other states have started to put caps on power usage like PG&E has, but
I have heard that it is happening in Europe where the power companies
are basically government owned.  I've been in the capacity planning
profession for about 20 years.  Traditionally that involves planning for
CPU consumption, memory, and storage.  Now, in many shops that
traditional capacity planner is adding power consumption to his/her list
of items to trend and control in some way.  This is another perfect
reason to virtualize.  Of course we all know that the mainframe is the
best, most mature virtual machine available.  Now, if we can just get
management to realize that.

Tom Kelman
Enterprise Capacity Planner
Commerce Bank of Kansas City