Eric,

I think the point here is that for years data centers have proliferated
servers that are single application and low utilization.  This has
driven their power usage sky high.  I don't know if power companies in
other states have started to put caps on power usage like PG&E has, but
I have heard that it is happening in Europe where the power companies
are basically government owned.  I've been in the capacity planning
profession for about 20 years.  Traditionally that involves planning for
CPU consumption, memory, and storage.  Now, in many shops that
traditional capacity planner is adding power consumption to his/her list
of items to trend and control in some way.  This is another perfect
reason to virtualize.  Of course we all know that the mainframe is the
best, most mature virtual machine available.  Now, if we can just get
management to realize that.

Tom Kelman
Enterprise Capacity Planner
Commerce Bank of Kansas City
(816) 760-7632

Rich
> > Avila, director of server and network operations at California
State,
> who
> > said saving power wasn't a fuzzy, feel good goal for him. It was a
> > necessity.
> >
> > Avila is the director of server and network operations at California
> State
> > University, East Bay, and he was responsible for 250 servers at the
> > Hayward, Calif., institution. The school's data center had ramped up
> > quickly and by late 2007, his utility was telling him he was drawing
67
> > kilowatt hours of power while the maximum available to him was going
> be
> > capped at 75 kilowatt hours. Pacific Gas & Electric said in no
uncertain
> > terms there'd be no additional power available when he reached that
> limit,
> > a date that appeared about six months off, Avila said.

If you wish to communicate securely with Commerce Bank and its
affiliates, you must log into your account under Online Services at
http://www.commercebank.com or use the Commerce Bank Secure
Email Message Center at https://securemail.commercebank.com

confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the
individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not
the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing,
retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message
or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please
advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and
permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments
and any copies of this message from your computer system.