Having done a few VSE to MVS migrations, let me speak to this at a
conceptual level.

What kind of security risk is it for someone to duplicate a volume with
sensitive data on it? This can be done with FLASHCOPY or physical volume
backup (DSS).

Granted, in a VSE shop, programmers get much more freedom than they do
under MVS.

And just like in the VSE shop, you can access NON-VSAM files as long as
you know the VOLSER where the data is. So a CLIP and a VARY ONLINE and
the data is available.

However, if the senior level programmers have access to flashcopy, how
would you know that a volume had not just been clobbered before you got
it backed up? Two people using the same "phantom" volume, and the last
one to write wins. How would you ensure that the production backups and
the programmers are using different volumes for the flashcopy?

UNLIKE VSE, MVS does not have the catalogs owning the volumes where
their VSAM files are. So "catalog backup" doesn't work for MVS as it
does for VSE. And DSS logical backups come close, but there are some
gaps that can cause serious heartburn during DR testing.

Again, not even using the MVS SMS capabilities, MVS manages files for
you, while under VSE, without some third-party product, you (the data
manager) must assign EXTENTS on volumes. Very different mind-set and
function between MVS and VSE (and granted, my VSE knowledge is rather
dated, I really haven't touch VSE for a while, and not even looked at
z/VSE).

DSS also allows you to take that logical backup and then rename for
restore. How do you secure this, so that production data (perhaps
subject to HIPPA) doesn't get out in the wild (as it were)?

You will want to make sure that the security "keys" in your security
system are set appropriately. Which brings up a new set of concepts.
What Security system did you have for VSE? If you didn't have one, MVS
does things at the data set name level. So it might not matter what the
volser is, DSN=A.B.C obtained via the CATALOG system, or via VOLSER will
be checked.

Many concepts to understand that are very different in their
implementations between the two environments.

Regards,
Steve Thompson

<SNIPPAGE>

That is the question I am trying to have answered.  What harm might be
done
in giving programmers access to DSS COPY flashcopy?  Going by the name
of
the resource and the comments on
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/zos/v1r9/index.jsp?topic=/com.i
bm.zos.r9.e0zh300/dssracf.htm
it would appear that this resource pertains only to DSS COPY and not to
Flashcopy in general.  Therefore I would think that giving programmers
rights to it would not unexpectedly give us rights to something else.
Does
anyone disagree with this?

To answer someone else's question about something having "changed" if we
could do this before but can no longer, this is not the case.  We are a
new
z/OS shop (in process converting from VSE), and I had just never tried
this
function before.

Thanks!
Frank

<SNIPPAGE>

-- Opinions expressed by this poster may not reflect poster's employer's
views or policies. --