On 2009-05-22 at 16:15, concerning "Re: FTP and SMS (and DYNALLOC)",
Bob Lester <bles...@opp....com> wrote to IBM-Main:

>    We have an ftp batch job that reaches down to a squatty box and
> pulls some data.
>
>    The LOCSITE parms are:
>    LOCSITE LRECL=8996 BLKSIZE=9000 RECFM=VBA +
>    unit=sysda volume=SYST01 cyl pri=20 sec=30
>
>    Volume SYST01 does not exist anymore [snip]

Bob:  I accomplish this (ok, related to JCL) with a Dummy StorGrp
(named, conveniently, OBSOLETE).

My solution was aimed at resolving DISP={OLD | MOD},VOL=SER=SYST01
coded on JCL statements.  (I obsoleted all my PROD* volumes in this
manner.)  In normal circumstances, the above signals that *you know*
where the dataset goes and so catalogue/SMS work is
bypassed/abbreviated.  (I think I found the descriptive text in the
JCL reference manual discussion DISP=OLD/MOD vs. VOL=)  I suspect
your LocSite values (volume=) builds the same kind of information
and, hence, the missing volume problem.  By placing the volSer in the
Dummy SG, it signals that the volume is SMS managed and the ACS
routines are invoked where you can deal with the over-rides.

Before we went to SMS-managed as the default, I kept a FiltList of
obsolete volumes ie. PROD*, to make my ACS routines more manageable.
Now I keep a FiltList of NON-managed volumes so the users (ie. my
senior) don't have to specify StorClas=NonSms in their JCL.

Hope this helps.  ciao.

---------->  signature = 6 lines follows <--------------
Neil Duffee, Joe SysProg, U d'Ottawa, Ottawa, Ont, Canada
telephone:1 613 562 5800 x4585                 fax:1 613 562 5161
mailto:NDuffee of uOttawa.ca     http:/ /aix1.uottawa.ca/ ~nduffee
"How *do* you plan for something like that?" Guardian Bob, Reboot
"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."
"Systems Programming: Guilty, until proven innocent" John Norgauer
2004