On Sat, 30 May 2009 10:07:28 -0500, Kirk Wolf <k...@dovetail.com> wrote:

>I'm not sure if this helps, but the z/OS pax command supports reading
>archives from an MVS dataset.

Close, but not quite.  SMP/E doesn't support SMPNTS resident in
Classic data sets.

Recent releases of SMP/E process relative files from the SMPNTS
consecutively, discarding work files from SMPWKDIR as each
relative file is loaded, somewhat relieving storage constraints
that existed earlier.

Wouldn't it be great if IEBCOPY could load from a Unix file,
relieving SMP/E of the need to do the (rather simple) conversion
to a RECFM=VBS Classic data set?  And even better if that Unix
file could be a pipe, so an unpacked copy of the unloaded relative
file need never exist?  (Hmmm.  Would require a restructuring
of the SMPNTS so compressed relative files would not reside in
pax.Z archives, since pax can't extract to pipes.)

Someone here once suggested that all local storage of unloaded
relative files should be eliminated: it shouldn't be RECEIVE
FROMNETWORK, but APPLY FROMNETWORK, accessing "the Great SMPPTS
in the Sky."  But I know of no vendor that avoids the two step
process, separating transfer from install.  Overlapping them
vastly complicates recovery from network failures.

-- gil