>I can understand the reason for those IEFUSI warnings. Java!
Well, the warnings for IEFUSI were there long before Java came along. And it
was only the precursor for things to come.

>Also those of us who compile using the C/C++ compiler in USS need a lot of
>memory because the compiler is a memory hog when optimizing. It's no
>different when compiling using batch.
Not to mention a cpu hog.

>Please name and shame the application! Sounds like a forker.
Can I say the good old 'check the archives'? I have complained about it at
length.

>It's also not uncommon to see Java applications using thread pools with 50
>times more threads then cpus. As soon as notifyAll is called the thundering
>herd comes a running. Most of these problems are due to poor programming
>practice, not necessarily the environment.
My point of contention is that most of the 'programmers' (That's why I called
that 'clicking') don't care that their code is poor. My neighbour - a nice
young
man of 25, just finished his IT-education, and he is sharp! - stated the mind
set of those I call 'clickers': "If it works on my PC, I don't care if it has a
performance problem in production. Someone else in the project hierarchy has
to fix it." (like the architect for the project or the customer). With this
attitude, about 99% of the 'ported' code is really bad for the environment it
is
supposed to run in productively. And the 1% that isn't so bad has a lot of
customer blood attached to it.

>I guess IBM are building hardware to make it
>perform (z10) just like they did back in the day for DB2.
Don't know about DB2, but performance problems caused by extremely poor
programming in a zLinux environment were dealt with by doing what is done in
the mickey mouse world - throw more hardware at it (in our case more IFLs).
That one single application cannot function with less than 8 IFLs. To compare -
 our 'holy cow' production system has only 7 general cps, and it runs IMS, DB2
and tons of batch without them crashing, even when we execute 1400 IMS
transactions per second for at least a minute (with response times *a lot* less
than 50ms).

Guess I should shut up now.

Barbara