> >Also those of us who compile using the C/C++ compiler in USS need a lot
of
> >memory because the compiler is a memory hog when optimizing. It's no
> >different when compiling using batch.
> Not to mention a cpu hog.

It's true, our compiler can take up a lot of memory and cpu.  We provide
several choices of optimization levels, and a highly optimized application
can use significantly less cpu than an unoptimized app.  The IPA level of
optimization, for example, does whole program optimization, which exposes
many more optimization opportunities than optimizing one source file at a
time.  However, optimizing an entire program requires significantly more
memory, and cpu.  One of the ways we have tried to mitigate this is to
move memory used by the IPA compile phase "above the bar", i.e., into
64-bit virtual storage.

Considering the number of times the application code will be executed in
production, the cpu time invested in optimizing it can be time well spent.

Regards,

Kel
IBM C/C++ Compiler Development
http://www.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/community/ccpp