Updating the running system is "frowned upon". The way that I do maintenance is
to put the maintenance onto an alternate set of OS volumes. That is easy to do
with "legacy" datasets. However, to update z/UNIX files, the container dataset
must be "mounted" on the updating system. So, the /Service subdirectory is
where you mount your alternate z/UNIX filesystems. Think of it as a similar to
the SSA alias used in SMP/E to refer to the datasets on your alternate RES
volumes via that normal catalog.

So, you'd first MOUNT your alternate ROOT filesystem dataset on the /Service
subdirectory. You'd then mount your alternate VAR filesystem at /Service/var,
XML at /Service/usr/lpp/ixm, SHPUROOT at /Service/usr/lpp/ported, SHPHROOT at
/Service/usr/lpp/php, SHPEROOT at /Service/usr/lpp/perl, MQS at
/Service/usr/lpp/mqm, and so on.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone * (817)-961-6183 cell