On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 11:01:58 -0500, Paul Ip <paul...@boci.com.hk> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Thanks for your information!
>
>I should rephrase my question, I know how to use JCLLIB / INCLUDE statement
>within a JCL but I don't get your idea about "externalize your individual PROC
>rqmt conditions and enclose the IF/THEN/ENDIF statements as needed for the
>first and subsequent PROC executions."
>
>I've tried your sample before, using the "SET RUNCHECK=" symbolic and then
>set the value to 'RUNCHECK' before STEP0002 (and even before STEP0003 to
>STEP000N) to ensure condition is checked correctly before PRCSTEP1 is
>executed. (of course, it failed with JCLERR with invalid reference of .RC as
>you've mentioned)
>
>However, I don't know the concept of your example given can be archived (no
>JCLERR) by using INCLUDE statement... are you talking about I should use
>INCLUDE statement to contain EXEC statement + COND code checking??
>
>Paul

The point about using INCLUDE is to remove as much duplication of JCL
statements as you can, locating them into INCLUDE members.  Then using the
INCLUDE feature, you will need only code your IF/THEN/ENDIF statements to
cover the first and subsequent executions of individual JCL execution steps,
given what's known about the JCL IF/RC/RUN usage deficiency.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.