From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of John Mattson
Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 5:33 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: IBM error messages getting worse?

        Am I just getting more cranky as I age, or are IBM messages
getting ever more obtuse?
        I just submitted a simple JCL error.  Just put in a
VOL=SER=XXXXXX where XXXXXX is a volume we do not have in our shop.
Should be a simple error, with a simple IBM Message saying "That VOLSER
does not exist, or is
not online" (dummy).   I would swear that used to be some such.  But
what
I got was  EDG8197I VOLUME HFS009 IS NOT DFSMSrmm MANAGED
        Here is the expanded JCL.  so you might see that it is not
talking about tape. and NO, F83D is not a tape unit address, it is the
unit address of HFS000, and that was my typo.
XXDASD     DD  DISP=OLD,UNIT=/&U,VOL=SER=&V
IEFC653I SUBSTITUTION JCL - DISP=OLD,UNIT=/F83D,VOL=SER=HFS009
        There are a number of other examples of this, but now I am going
to start keeping track of them.  This message is worse than useless, it
misleads the unwary into thinking that RMM is involved in the problem.

email to lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search
the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html