-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Ed Gould
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2009 12:34 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: IBM error messages getting worse?

--- On Thu, 7/9/09, Patrick O'Keefe <patrick.oke...@wamu.net> wrote:

From: Patrick O'Keefe <patrick.oke...@wamu.net>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Date: Thursday, July 9, 2009, 2:29 PM

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 08:21:22 -0400, David Andrews=20
<d...@lists.duda.com> wrote:

I think you make a very good point.=A0 There have always been
absolutely inscrutable MVS messages and there will probably
be new ones.=A0 But there are many prefectly clear ones, too, and
there is that message id you can look up, run searches on, submit
RCFs on (if those still exist ... and are read), or even open PMRs on=20
if they are so bad as to be considered a defect.=A0 I don't think it
is=20
getting worse.

Pat O'Keefe=A0=20

-
Pat:I am not sure I agree , but I think that most USS messages are at
best =
inscrutable. Take TCP as an example most of the messages I had to look
up a=
t the time did not follow the IBM convention as to importance (W,I,E,C)
and=
 then they didn't set the condition code to match the message. The
conditio=
n code IMO was the worse and it looked to me like they threw the dice
when =
it came to setting codes. Frankly I gave up and after reading the
message i=
n the manual 2 or 3 times and it still did not make sense I opened a
PMR. I=
 very rarely got anyplace with the PMR as the "USS" people live in the
own =
universe separate from IBM. To me they decided to thumb their nose at
the r=
est of IBM and said we are going to operate as we like to hell with IBM
and=
 their rules.
I think the LE people weren't quite as bad, but they are up there. Do
*NOT*=
 get me going on COBOL messages. Their so called self describing
messages m=
ust have been made up on a bad acid trip.
In the past, say 1970 or so we can all agree that some messages like
"call =
your systems programmer" were nightmares especially at 3AM and there was
no=
 IBM support to call back then.=A0
Since then (thanks to GUIDE anyway) we made the messages a MAJOR issue
and =
I can still remember 1 GUIDE where the pubs people came into GUIDE and
prom=
ised to do a better job. It actually did work, thank goodness. Messages
act=
ually started to mean something and they were reasonable english
straightfo=
rward and it might take you a bit to understand the famous VSAM messages
th=
at gave you a bunch of possibilities at an answer if you could discern
if i=
t was a FC or other type of RC or whatever. If you read it carefully
enough=
 it did make sense (most of the time). That was about the time that
(sorry =
I do not remember the name of the IBM product) but IBM shipped you a
search=
able database every month or so and you could play with search args to
find=
 something you couldn't make heads or tales out of. Of course now its
IBMLI=
NK (when it is up) and it functions the same and with reasonably more up
to=
 date issues than the once a month tape shipment.
The pubs people might have lost their way as it seems in the late 80's
(esp=
ecially with USS) components (I DO NOT MEAN UNFORMATTED SYSTEM SERVICES
so =
if anyone wants to get anal about the meaning I do not care.
Ed=A0=A0=0A=0A=0A