On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 08:21:22 -0400, David Andrews
<d...@lists.duda.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 2009-07-08 at 17:33 -0400, John Mattson wrote:
>> Am I just getting more cranky as I age, or are IBM messages
>> getting ever more obtuse?
>
>I wouldn't say more obtuse.  Remember this chestnut?
>
>IEB817I MEMBER NAME mmmmmmmm NOT FOUND IN NM DIRECTORY.
STOWED WITH TTR.

>which meant: "I added a new member to your PDS".

I think you make a very good point.  There have always been
absolutely inscrutable MVS messages and there will probably
be new ones.  But there are many prefectly clear ones, too, and
there is that message id you can look up, run searches on, submit
RCFs on (if those still exist ... and are read), or even open PMRs on
if they are so bad as to be considered a defect.  I don't think it is
getting worse.

Pat O'Keefe