Firstly, with me struggling to spell DB2 let alone know the zparms by
heart, is there not a way to set a different expiry date for each of the
logs?

Failing that, IIRC (and it's been a few years, so the memory may be a
bit hazy) expiry date/retention date doesn't quite work the same way for
DASD as for Tape.  Whereas expiry date on tape tells the tape management
system to allow the tape to be 'scratched' and thus be used for other
purposes, the expiry date on DASD is just the date the dataset can be
written to (or deleted) without a WTOR being issued.

If you were to set the retention period in zparms to 1 and then manage
the datasets on DASD (via SMS Management Class or HSM Space Management
etc.) to delete after four days then "Robert's your mother's brother"

Cheers,
Chris

p.s. I like your shop with 4/1 days requirement for logs ... last time I
dealt with this we had to keep the logs for 10 days on DASD, 180 on
tape.
Lots of fun when during upgrade activities, the applications decided to
run it all through SQL ... cutting a new log every 3-5 minutes for 10
hours or so!