I had a good chuckle when I read the first quote below. I have to disagree with the 2nd quote though. I'm sure that the manager who could get a good deal on a z/800 would prefer to know that his software costs would go up by 19 or 20%, probably negating the great savings on the z/800. I've never been a manager, but even if I thought I could save the company money by purchasing a z/800, if the true cost were higher, I really would want to know that, because when you get the first software bill after the switch, everyone will know. Also, don't forget that maintenance costs will go up substantially.

One other comment, slightly off of the topic, but generated also by the first quote below. Some people say things on this list that I know if I said them, I wouldn't want them to get back to my manager. I try my best never to say anything that replects poorly on my current employer, and even past ones. Your manager may never read this list, or anyone else in you company, but he might know someone who does, who reports what you said to him. I know once I made a comment about a CA product that we had that was very derogatory. My comment was the truth though. Our CA rep, who probably never read this list heard about it, and hollered at me. I think she got it from one of the many CA developers who follow this list.

Eric Bielefeld
Sr. Systems Programmer
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
414-475-7434

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Jacobs" <mark.jac...@custserv.com>

I would say more, but I need to keep my job.

--
You don't tell a manager facts that go against their gut feeling, it
just annoys them.

--
Mark Jacobs
Time Customer Service