<snip>
We are z/os 1.9 and have some research that suggests that our JES does
not support large volumes (Mod 27's). Other than just trying, is there
any way to tell if we have the large volume support or not?
</snip>

Support for large spool was introduced in z/OS 1.7.

'Sorry I can't give you a direct reference, but if you follow the link
below (watch the wrap), it will take you to a
Presentation on the IBM Education Assistant Web site.

HTH,

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&q1=jes2+spool+large&uid=i
sg3T7000009&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&cc=us&lang=all