>I still think that IBM should have chosen another acronym for Unix than USS. I
>believe VTAM USS table is still valid, and still used, so it is confusing to
>me that IBM should use the same acronym for something that is still in
use.

It was not originally shortened.
It was 'UNIX System Services', at first, after IBM changed it from Open Edition
(OE).
Then some internal staffers shortened it, and eventually customers started
using it.

This is not the first time IBM has repeated use of the same acronym.

ISAM (when it was still supported in the early 1980's) was also used as
Integrated Services, Account Marketting (or Management).

I also remember an Electronic Engineer, taking an IMS course and getting
totally confused over PCB (Printed Circuit Board vs Programme Control Block).
He was from Northern Quebec and had not learned English until he was an adult.
-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!