Bill,

Its more than just a specific transaction by an individual being committed. A lot of it has to do with clearing house work. If you write a check to someone, that someone will eventually deposit it in their bank. That might not be the same bank that you use. It then has to go thru a clearing house. The clearing house(s) used to work on a time schedule, wherein all transactions for a preceding time period would be batched up and processed, and distributed at a specific time on a normal business day. Same thing holds true for payroll updates, gov't checks, and a myriad of other types of transactions.

        --Dave
On 6/27/2012 10:30 AM, Bill Fairchild wrote:
I understand why all accumulated transactions have to be processed in the
correct sequence if they are batched up daily, but why is an individual
transaction not instantaneously and permanently processed with the results
being committed right then?  Why is it necessary to run huge batches of
transactions at night?   I am guessing that committing the transaction
instantly would take too long for the average customer's patience when standing
at an outdoors ATM in the rain.  Are there any other reasons?  When I buy an
airplane ticket online, I get my whole transaction complete in one sitting and
do not have to wait until the next day to receive confirmation of my
reservation, but it always takes several minutes to do it online.

Bill Fairchild
Programmer
Rocket Software
408 Chamberlain Park Lane * Franklin, TN 37069-2526 * USA
t: +1.617.614.4503 *  e: bfairch...@rocketsoftware.com * w:
www.rocketsoftware.com

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of J. Cassidy
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 9:58 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: 'Inexperienced' RBS tech operative's blunder led to banking
meltdown

The Guardian has a version that is more or less readable, albeit meant for the
man on the street.

Some of the comments are  rather "pungent".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/jun/25/how-natwest-it-meltdown?newsfeed=true

=> On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 09:49:03 -0400, Knutson, Sam <sknut...@geico.com> =>
wrote:
=>
=> <Big snip>
=>
=> Well put Sam.
=>
=>>
=>>The Register is fun reading sometimes but they rarely have enough detail =>> to
get real insight into what actually happened.  So really anything we =>> say here is just
idle speculation.
=>>
=>
=> Exactly what I told an old manager of mine who emailed me the
=> story after it started circulating at his office.   I told him to think
=> of it as the "National Enquirer of IT".  :-) => => Mark => -- => Mark Zelden -
Zelden Consulting Services - z/OS, OS/390 and MVS => mailto:m...@mzelden.com => Mark's MVS Utilities:
http://www.mzelden.com/mvsutil.html
=> Systems Programming expert at http://expertanswercenter.techtarget.com/
=>
=> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
=> For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, => send email
to lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN =>

John Cassidy (Dipl.-Ingr.)

Kapellenstr. 21a

D-65193 Wiesbaden