On Jul 4, 2012, at 5:59 PM, Ron Hawkins wrote:
----------------------- SNIP----------------------------------------------- TMP: truly temporary datasets, and not transitory datasets passed from job to job

DBS: any dataset allocated by a DBMS (IMS, DB2, IDMS, etc) or an OLTP (CICS, etc). Some datasets may also be used by batch jobs, but if it is part of a database at any point then it goes here.

All good advice.
The issue in TMP is that some software vendors use && type datasets as perm and then rename them "magically". No they shouldn't do it and you can argue with them for years and they won't budget. These vendors are nightmares and a half.

I don't know if its still true (probably is based on their past behavior) a major DBMS refuses to acknowledge that their data sets are unmovable. Sure they are moveable if you use their utilities but thats the standard argument you get from these "people"

There is a redbook (or there used to be one that gave some good advice about converting).

Ever since IBM forced the issue on some datasets companies are finally (again) eyeing the possibility and Liz, you are one of them. I am mixed about the idea of forcing everyone as there are good benefits from going SMS. There are a few vendors out there that are inhibiting the conversion. I think the users have to ride them really hard to see the error of their ways.

Ed