"Lizette Koehler" <stars...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:<01de01cd591f$8b52a580$a1f7f080$@mindspring.com>...
> I have a friend who has a shop that is non SMS.  I am trying to provide a
simple check list on how to convert to SMS managed storage.

> If anyone has suggestions on best practices for a conversion - please let
me know.

> I have one idea of how to do, but others with more experience might have a
more elegant approach.

> My concept is to create some empty SMS Pools.  Change/establish ACS
routines (using the SAMPLE IBM provides) and slowly take one HLQ after
another.  Then when comfortable with the process and ACS/HSM processes work,
go for the big bang.  Yes - This is a high level view of what I would do.
So steps are missing.  ?

> If there are better ideas, I thank you for the guidance.
>

> Lizette Koehler

These comments may seem a bit "radical", but they worked very well in the
implementation that I led.

1) During the SMS implementation we set things up so that general users
could specify SMS attributes (except for STORCLAS).  The idea was to
decouple the dataset name (which hopefully describes content and function)
from the management attributes.  It was a long time ago, but I seem to
recall using RACF to authorize users to specific subsets of data/management
classes.

2) I also took the opportunity to "refactor" the data management rules.  I
worked with all of the "stakeholders" to review current storage management
practices (e.g., backup retention, space allocation etc.) and try to
rationalize and reduce them to a small(er) set of SMS constructs.

3) Finally I seem to recall that the order of conversion was something like:
temporary datasets, TSO user datasets, general application datasets,
database datasets, other datasets.

be seeing you ... Don

Don Melton, Sr. Consultant, Vatic Technologies Ltd