"SIGNAL SHUTDOWN"  is, I believe, a VM construct. It is not a machine
construct.

>fully-architected hardware external interrupt (in the PoPs)
>that indicates that the LPAR is being shut down.

FWIW, there is no such external interrupt. There is a "service signal
interrupt" and z/OS does receive some of those interrupts (not all). The
particular events that are the "subject" of a service signal interrupt are
not documented in the Principles of Operation. The functionality being
alluded to is an event that asks the running entity (e.g., z/OS) to enter
a wait state (presumably by doing some sort of quiesce operation) before a
certain timeout limit has been exceeded. If it has not done so, then once
that time limit has been reached the LPAR shut down goes forward anyway.
It is my understanding that this timeout value is 5 minutes which might or
might not be long enough for a reasonable z/OS orderly shut down. If true,
then writing a message will not be enough.  Non-software support would be
needed to identify a longer timeout value (hence increasing the bill).
Note also that it would be a bad thing to unconditionally force every LPAR
shut down to wait an extra 5 minutes as there will be customers who do not
care to set up monitoring for such a message.  Having the customer inform
z/OS of interest is another necessary, not difficult, part of the
solution.

>as long as an automation package or maybe even system rexx
>could intercept the message and take action that was desired.

I'm sure just about every site has a protocol for what it considers an
orderly shutdown. z/OS itself has very little clue. When a customer wants
an orderly shutdown, I presume that they initiate one.
And if the "action that was desired" exceeds the time threshold, the
deactivation will occur before it is "desired".

This is perhaps a naive question but is the problem that the person who is
getting rid of an LPAR does not talk to the person in charge of the system
running on the LPAR (to me that's similar to holding the power-off button
on your PC instead of doing a "shutdown") and just does the LPAR
deactivation? I'll readily grant that it would be nicer if that
communication did not need to occur, but I really find it a bit hard to
believe that such communication is anything other than a necessity. I
don't know if it will be felt that it is "nicer enough" to justify the
cost.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design