<snip>

> >Otoh, without Windows, who really would have been using the Internet
>
> Pretty much everybody who is now. Without windows they'd be running,
> e.g., OS/2, MacOS, Linux.

What, no mention of CP/M-86? I don't think that MP/M ever had a x86 version. I
do remember running Pick on my XT clone. Now that was a weird beastie. And you
totally ignored things like the Amiga. I loved what I saw of that software. I
wish now that my boss at the time hadn't convinced me to go with an XT clone.

Also IBM Instruments(?) had a Motorola 68000 based system. And the joys of the
ATT 3B series of machines cannot be overstated. <VBG> Man, I loved that era of
many different choices. Now, it is basically Wintel. Windows is so entrenched
that, IMO, it will only be shaken loose by a major change in paradim. Perhaps a
"super tablet", which are dominated today by Android and iOS. I don't know
about the new Windows 8 tablets. If they run like Windows PCs, people are not
going to like them. They'll be overpriced, under performing (bloat), and the
software will cost too much. The Andoid SDK is totally cost free. So anybody
with a PC can develop Android code. I cannot imagine MS "giving away" their
SDK. Unless they are "clever" and begin with a zero cost SDK, then start
increasing the price if Windows on tablets become a majority.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group