jwgli...@gmail.com (John Gilmore) writes:
> The scientific community made early and significant use of the DARPA
> predecessor of today's Internet, and almost none of the problems that
> afflict us today emerged during that period.  There was no money to be
> made by chicanery, and little of it therefore occurred.
>
> Things are now very different.  The availability of millions of new
> Internet dupes has spawned whole new classes of crime and greatly
> facilitated others that are much older than it is.

note in the 95/96 time-frame industry presentations by online dialup
consumer banking were explaining move to the internet ... in large part
motivated by the large consumer support costs related to serial-port
dialup modems (able to offload to ISPs). at the same time the commercial
dialup banking/cash-management operations were saying that they would
never move to the internet ... for a long list of vulnerabilities.

late 90s, EU had FINREAD standard as countermeasure to a long list of
vulnerabilities related to internet-connected desktops ... including
compromised desktops.

some number of vendors were pushing hardware (chip) tokens for
authentication for many kinds of fraud. approx. start of the century,
one of the plastic magstripe payment cards included chip in the card and
provided free give-away of serial-port card readers. The enormous
customer support costs associated with serial-port card readers resulted
in rapidly spreading opinion in the industry that hardware tokens
weren't practical in consumer market. As a result there was
pullback/abandoning the consumer oriented chipcard-based programs in the
industry ...  including the EU FINREAD effort.

We participated in after action review of the situation with some of the
people in redmond ... identifying the problem was with serial-port
devices ... not the chipcards. Apparently in few short years between
online dial-up banking moving to internet and the give-away serial-port
cardreaders, the institutional knowledge about the enormous serial-port
cunsumer support costs evaporated (which also was major motivation for
USB development).

Along the way, the online dialup commercial banking/cash-management did
move to the internet ... and the businesses have experienced all the
exploits and vulnerabilities previously predicated. A number of times in
the past decade, it has been recommended that businesses have a
dedicated PC for online banking that is *NEVER* used for any other
purpose (semi reverting to the days of online dialup banking)

There has recently been a number of legal actions regarding liability
for such exploits ... some number of recent posts in linkedin financial
fraud on the subject:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012i.html#18 Zeus/SpyEye 'Automatic Transfer'
Module Masks Online Banking Theft
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012i.html#32 Zeus/SpyEye 'Automatic Transfer'