What you have said was true in the past, about jobs having more data in SMF
than STCs sometimes did. Some STCs must still be single step, such as an
external writer or anything running a program in the PPT. This is not true of
CICS. We run multi-step CICS regions as started jobs (not tasks) as our
standard. Perhaps some shops ran a process as a job just in order to run
multiple steps which were procs. In the past, an STC had to be a single PROC.
Also, with STC (started procs), all the STCs ran with the same, generated,
pseudo-JOB card. Some shops wanted to run with different job accounting
parameters, for billing purposed. They either had to do some fancy exit
programming, or ran as a batch job. But with started jobs, you can now run an
STC as a "started job" (complete with JOB card with all parameters except
CLASS=) with multiple EXEC PROC= steps. Also, you can now nest PROCs and so
have an STC be a PROC, but that that PROC can run the other PROCs required in
order.

We run CICS as a "started job". I changed to this on the first release of z/OS
in which it was available.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV