John

Regarding your paranoia - pay-back time for false accusations of "ranting"! -
over the PPT:

> Some STCs must still be single step, such as ... anything running a program
> in the PPT.

The best policy here would be actually to read up on what is said about
multiple/single steps in the description of the attributes of a PPT entry as
covered by the description of the PPT statement of the SCHEDxx member in the
z/OS MVS Initialization and Tuning Reference manual:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/IEA2E2C1/76.6

Out of infinite kindness, I present the pointers here:

<quote>

For NODSI, the job must be a one-step job. If the job is not a one-step job,
NODSI is nullified and the system issues message IEF188I. All other properties
remain in effect.

For SYST, the program must be a one-step job started by a START or MOUNT
command. If these conditions are not met, SYST is nullified and the system
issues message IEF188I. All other properties remain in effect.

If procedures are multistep or if NOSYST is specified, TIME=1440 may be
required to prevent timeout.

</quote>

As I have mentioned on a few occasions in IBM-MAIN in posts which have clearly
been ignored, long ago in the days when I education/test systems, I encountered
the irritating multiple step restriction caused by the SYST attribute. With the
aid of the PPT statement of the SCHEDxx member of SYS1.PARMLIB, I simply
denuded the infected program name of the SYST attribute and was happily able to
run VTAM (ISTINM01), NetView(DSIMNT or BNJLINTX) and the address space
corresponding to the IP component of Communications Server - "TCP/IP for MVS"
at the time - (EZBTCPIP) as multiple steps without "issue". (What a shame they
are childless!)

One - perhaps the only one - of my objectives was to enable the introduction of
an IEFBR14 step at the beginning of the procedure in order to ensure[1] that
"trace and dump" data sets from any previous executions of the procedures were
deleted - by the use of DISP=(MOD,DELETE). I was then able to allocate them as
DISP=NEW data sets with minimal primary space allocation - keeping the limited
DASD space at the disposal of my multiple systems all "neat and tidy". I
appreciate that the considerations relating to my education/test environment do
not apply to a production environment but, if the design of an "application"
would suit multiple steps in the procedure, being put off because the PPT table
CSECT, IEFSDPPT (module IEFSD060), entry for the program name happens to have
the SYST attribute set should *not* be an inhibitor.[2]

There is one consideration when SYST is removed which is that the EXEC
statement associated with the previously infected program will now need
TIME=1440 - or the equivalent.

> Perhaps some shops ran a process as a job just in order to run multiple steps
> which were procs.

It is certain that actually reading the manual would have been more productive
in the long run - but there's no accounting for folk!

> In the past, an STC had to be a single PROC.

How far into the past would that be? I used to play "fast and loose" with the
SYST attribute from around the late 1980s IMMSMC.

-

[1] I've just read a post where the word "insure" was used when it was "ensure"
that made sense of what appeared to be being said. Is this yet another case of
folk between the shining seas "evolving" the originally English language?