John,

Your comment in regards to when RSM sends paging data to flash is not accurate.
If flash is available to a z/OS partition it will preferably be used for all
paging data except for data needed for warm/quick starts like VIO. PLPA will be
placed on both disk and flash . We use the PLPA disk copy for warm starts and
the flash copy to resolve any PLPA page faults. All other paging data should go
to flash as the first choice.

Currently you can not IPL a z/OS system from "Flash Express".

In term of write endurance it should not be a concern, a lot of smart IBM
engineers looked at the numbers and the life expectancy of the z "Flash
Express" card pair should outlive its technology use. We expect customers will
migrate to the next generation of flash technology long before wear out becomes
an issue. In addition to "wear leveling" algorithms exployed at the SSD level,
and over provisioning, additional z write reduction algorithms were used to
extend the life of the SSDs.

Elpida Tzortzatos
elp...@us.ibm.com