cfmpub...@ns.sympatico.ca (Clark Morris) writes:
> How much work can that z196 do compared with the 4829/hr Amazon cloud
> you mentioned?  Given the great disparity between costs per
> instruction execution, on reading these posts it would seem that
> getting to a secure, fault tolerant operating system on blade clusters
> would be highly cost effective and that all new work should be moved
> to that environment.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#51 Turn Off Another Light - Univ. of
Tennessee
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#56 Turn Off Another Light - Univ. of
Tennessee

this is long-winded discussion in (linkedin) Greater IBM regarding
financial industry spending several billions on attempting to move
business critical applications off mainframes to "killer micros" in the
90s (contributed to lots of the press about mainframe death). The
efforts failed disastrously for some specific reasons. More than
a decade later ... when all of the reasons for the earlier failures
had been addressed ... there was still significant resistance and
risk adversion lingering because of the earlier failures.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#47 I.B.M. Mainframe Evolves to Serve the
Digital World
also repeated in this ibm-main thread
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#31 X86 server

for something totally different ... in the 70s, one of the online
virtual machine based commercial service bureaus (claims that these
virtual machine based services were the cloud of the 60s&70s and into
the 80s) ... developed a "capability-based" operating system for ibm
mainframe called gnosis. It was benchmarked doing ACP/TPF like
transaction at higher-throughput than ACP/TPF (on the same hardware)
... part of the explanation was the higher integrity, higher abstraction
... allowed things that couldn't be done with the low-level ACP/TPF
implementation. When M/D bought the business in the 80s, the
capability-based operating system was spun-off into its own company
(disclaimer: I was brought in to audit the implementation as part of the
spin-off).

this has original background and history
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~KeyKOS/Gnosis/Gnosis.html
it was spun-off as keykos
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~KeyKOS/

more recently gnosis/keykos work has been the basis for non-mainframe
capability based system
http://www.capros.org/

but there is significant difficulty getting market penetration and
commercial acceptance.