>>> On 9/2/2012 at 04:51 PM, Clark Morris <cfmpub...@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> The major reason for staying on a mainframe (z, Unisys A, Unisys 2200
> follow-on) is the horrendous cost of migration.

That is far from the only reason to stay on the mainframe.

> Noting the number of
> smaller entities that have successfully moved off the z series and its
> predecessors, I am interested in just how long both COBOL and z have.
> I am seeing few reasons to go to a z series.

Then you haven't looked deeply enough.  Software licensing for middleware
significantly favors running on Linux on System z.  Many other costs such has
power, cooling, floor space, people, inventory tracking, networking hardware,
disaster recovery, provisioning and retirement, etc., also favor System z.  The
challenge, as it always has been, is to pick the right tool for the job, and
not assume that a particular tool is always the right one OR the wrong one.

> The other question is are few IPS used to accomplish the same amount
> of work on z series as opposed to the Intel series?

Not particularly.  From the work that Barton Robinson et. al. of Velocity
Software has done, pretty much "A GHz is a GHz."