My guess is that this is an older PL/1 programm which has previously been
compiled (successfully?) by another compiler using other compile options.
Especially the message concerning the pointer P was IMO not an error
during the former compiles.

DCL P PTR;

should help.

The same goes for the BUILTIN function STR. This may have been misspelled,
but there may well have been a function called STR in another implementation of PL/1. I would take a look at the source and try to guess what the function STR
is supposed to do.

These are the only errors, as far as I see, which lead to the RC of 8 in the compile step.

Kind regards

Bernd