BIF has come to be the generic term, but the same notion has been
given different names in different statement-level procedural
languages.  COBOL, for example, calls them intrinsic functions.

The idea is an important one.  None of us wants to use an SLPL in
which such constructs as

y = sqrt(x) ;

or the like are not immediately available.  The weasel C term 'library
function' is for this reason unfortunate.  It leaves open the question
who must implement them.  (BIF instead makes it clear than they must
come with a compiler or interpeter.)

--jg