It would be possible to become angry about Shmuel's literalisms,
selective quotations, context mixing and switching, and the like.  It
would even be possible to enter into protracted disputes about them
with him, as I used to do too often.

I no longer judge it worthwhile to do this.  His gadfly posts give him
great satisfaction; they are sometimes useful; and even when they are
not they are, finally, innocuous.

This time, for example, he has, a little opaquely, disentangled the
source-language syntactic form of a function reference from its
implementation, which may sometimes usefully be in line instead of by
library-subroutine call.

It is true, for example, that for such PL/I constructs as

declare vname character(46) varying,
  vnl signed binary fixed(15,0),
  length builtin ;
. . .
vnl = length(vname) ;

IBM and many other PL/I compilers implement the BIF length in line.
(There would be scope for C compilers to do similar things in some
cases, but I am not aware that any does them.)   Still, this
distinction between syntactic form and implementation strategy and the
option it makes available to compiler writers are important.

This case is not an isolated one.  It would not be unfair, I think, to
characterize Shmuel's posts as a mixture of gratuitous contention and
redeeming technical information.

--jg