It's a little like the question of performance hits on a volume shared by
'low use' data sets. A data set may get used infrequently, but when it
gets used, it gets used heavily if only for a brief period.

We undergo periodic hardware refreshes in which we move all data on every
subsystem from one box to another. During that exercise, we perform many
dynamic IODF changes because we don't have the real estate to completely
install all of the new gear along all of the old gear. We have to do it in
stages. Every few years.

OTOH I'm curious about the purported risk of a 'moving device'. In order
to make a significant change to a device--especially UCB address--the
volume has to be offline or else the dynamic ACTIVATE fails.

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company