I changed the Subject name so Barbara Nitz would not need to tell us when to
stop.  :-)

Lindy has correctly stated the English language's derivation (etymology) of our
words hound and deer.  As John Gilmore said, Roger Suhr misunderstood Lindy's
point.  Another example of etymology is how Suhr's German word Rehbock morphed
into our English word roebuck.  As languages evolve, several aspects of any
given word can change:  the spelling, the pronunciation, consonantal voicing or
unvoicing, vowel shifting, and even the meaning.  Hound comes from Hund, deer
comes from Tier, and innumerable other examples can be given of modern English
words with German word origins.  Linguists officially classify modern English
as a North Germanic language.  Most of our modern words have either Anglo-Saxon
(thus older Germanic) or Norman French (thus older Latin) roots.  English today
is the language equivalent of SMF - it absorbs data from everywhere.  We have a
host of technical English words now with either Latin or Greek roots in them,
as well as at least a smattering of words from hundreds of the six or seven
thousand languages extant.

Bill Fairchild
Programmer
Rocket Software
408 Chamberlain Park Lane * Franklin, TN 37069-2526 * USA
t: +1.617.614.4503 *  e: bfairch...@rocketsoftware.com * w:
www.rocketsoftware.com