On 11/26/2012 12:00 PM, Lindy Mayfield wrote:
Tweedledee and Tweedledum _Agreed_ to have a fight.

Someday soon some language will be the Lingua Chinoise and COBOL will start
looking really "funny."

Funny yourself there.

I just had the extreme pleasure of helping a colleague from Beijing doing
someinstallation in z/OS, and she had never seen or touched a mainframe before.
Ever. And just on her own she could work with everything from USS to JCL with
zERO training in ISPF or JCL or anything. No training. Just looking through
docs.

I explained to her what SYSPROC meant and she got it right away...

I still cannot believe it, but on the other hand, I it is just a machine.

I'd love to hear Steve chime in on this,

I've always said "if people could read IBM manuals, I'd be
out of work". And many people on the listservs have said
they learn best by reading and some trial and error. On the
other hand, as I've mentioned before, a well-designed class
can speed the process up quite a bit.

For the next 2-4 weeks I'm in Albuquerque: our son is
having open heart surgery Wednesday. Opportunities to
read and respond to emails will be sporadic for me for
a while, at best.

but I never thought I'd see the day
that someone went from knowing a TSO command line's difference from UNIX, or
batch, to ISPF so easily, just like it was, hmmm, what is the word I'm looking
for....

A computer?

...a way a lone a last a loved a long the...