John Gilmore wrote:

>When I began in this business "storage" mean only auxiliary|backing storage.
>Main storage was "memory", a usage that is certainly not obsolete and is
>preserved in acronyms like DRAM.

What about the little cute, but dated, word 'core'? And you perhaps know the
phrase 'core dump'? ;-D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic-core_memory
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_dump

>If you want to know what a word or phrase means|meant with any precision you
>must associate a time and a place|dialect with your query.

Ah yes, for example, 'core' is now AFAIK dated.

Some people are [still] refering to 'tape' when talking about cartridge (3490,
Magstar). Should VTS (Virtual Tape System) not be VCS (Virtual Cartridge
System)? ;-D :-D ;-D :-D

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht