Lindy

> And just on her own she could work with everything from USS to JCL with zERO
> training in ISPF or JCL or anything. No training. Just looking through docs.

I'm surprised that your friend could work out how to use Unformatted Systems
Services just by "looking through the docs". It's rather tricky to realise that
you should substitute the name of the application, say TSO or CICS, as the
value for the LOGON command and then make the name of the application the
default value for the APPLID parameter. Then specify the "assembler" format so
that the userid can follow in the case of TSO. At least she doesn't have to
think how she might contrive to make the mode table entry name the second
positional parameter as I needed to do in order to teach the topic originally!

Your friend may actually have strayed beyond the "docs" in picking up an
example of this "trick" from the SEZAINST sample member EZBTPUST.

This example may also have inspired your friend to get to grips with the 3270
data stream in order to create messages relating to her installation.

I see you didn't mention z/OS UNIX as one of the skills your friend learned
"just looking through docs". My impression from a couple of weeks in Beijing
about 15 years ago - at the time when mooncakes appear! - is that people
recruited into technical jobs involving computers are educated in all matters
UNIX. Thus acquiring skills in z/OS UNIX - z/OS UNIX Systems Services in full -
would not be remarkable.

Chris Mason