On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 16:05:10 +0100, "R.S." <r.skoru...@bremultibank.com.pl>
wrote:

>In general you are 100% right.
>However many people use PROGRAM class only to fulfill requirements of
>TCPIP setup and other stuff.
>In this case they define CL(PROGRAM) ** profile and and several
>IBM-z/OS-provided libraries in ADDMEM.
>In such case BASIC-ENHANCED security has no special meaning, has it?
>
>(And for clarity I omited IRRDPI and few other programs which should be
>exclued from UACC(R))

There's a reason those TCP/IP programs (or the UNIX functions they invoke)
require a program-controlled environment, Radoslaw.

If any of those programs or functions can be invoked by a "normal" user, and
will work if they're invoked in a clean program-controlled environment, then
you should be running in enhanced program-control mode to ensure that the user
can't attack them and cause them to do things that are unintended.

In some ways, a clean program-controlled environment is like running
APF-authorized. And in some ways, running with enhanced program-control mode
rather than basic is like providing proper access control to control who can
update your APF-authorized libraries.

I honestly do not know whether, in the situation you hypothesized, you are
exposed to attacks if you run in basic rather than enhanced mode. But why take
the chance? Enhanced protects you from some attacks that basic allows.

It's simpler to implement enhanced mode than to try to figure out what the
attacks are, and whether they'll work in your situation if you remain in basic
mode.

--
Walt